Practice Areas

Your child deserves a meaningful education

It can be tough on you as a parent when your child struggles in school. That’s because we all want what’s best for them. That’s why we’re more than willing to read to them, tutor them and help them with their schoolwork. But what if our help isn’t enough?

There comes a time when you know that your child needs more. If you suspect there are learning issues, the first step is contacting the teacher and ask that your child be evaluated. In the evaluation process, you may hear some terms that can be confusing, but are nevertheless important.

Individualized education program (IEP)

Public schools are required to provide services for students whose disability adversely affects their educational performance through the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). The IEP is an agreement between the school and parents that outlines the special education and related services to be delivered to a child who has been found eligible for services.

Section 504

The Section 504 regulation protects the rights of students with disabilities and requires a school district to provide a “free appropriate public education” (FAPE) to each qualified student with a disability who is in the school district’s jurisdiction. As much as possible, students with disabilities should be educated with non-disabled students. A 504 plan can be triggered by a physical or mental condition that impacts a major life activity.

The Supreme Court says your child deserves more

A recent Supreme Court unanimous decision clarified the rights of special education students. They rejected the idea that a school district is only obligated to provide educational services that offered merely minimum progress. In other words, they deserve more than simply passing the student on from grade to grade.

The Court held that special education students are entitled to an education that is reasonably calculated to enable a child to make progress appropriate in light of the child’s circumstances.

What does this mean for you?

If you believe that your child is not getting the education they deserve and that they are not sufficiently challenged, you can do something. An experienced special education attorney can guard the rights of your child to receive a free and appropriate education. Talk to a professional because your child deserves a meaningful education.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule Your Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy